The conference fees for ALA2018 can be found below. Fees include lunch on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and coffee, tea and refreshments during these days.
The full conference programme (papers, posters and workshops) will be scheduled on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We will already start on Wednesday with two preconference workshops for young researchers and others interested (on academic presentation and publishing in journals).
Day passes are available for those participants only attending one day.
The social programme will take place on Friday evening and includes a language aware canal boat tour through Amsterdam city centre and dinner (see social programme for more information). THE SOCIAL PROGRAMME IS NOW FULLY BOOKED!
If you are not yet a member of the Association for Language Awareness (ALA), we strongly recommend that you join now. ALA members will be charged a lower conference fee and will receive the official journal Language Awareness (four issues per year). More information with respect to membership can be found on ALA’s website.
Participants should register through the online secure payment system of our conference venue (please click here). This system works best when you use Internet explorer as browser. The website offers an English version. Please click on ‘English’ in the right upper corner of your screen. When you have made your selection and you click on ‘proceed to checkout’ you will be asked to register some details so the system can send you a confirmation. You should fill in all the asterisked fields. What is most important, however, is that your name and email address are correct (the other asterisked fields simply need some characters). You will receive a confirmation from the system via email. If necessary, a more expanded confirmation of payment can be sent to you on request.
Good luck with registration (and if any problem arises, contact us at email@example.com).
- For cancellations received by May 31, 2018, 100% of the registration fee will be refunded.
- For cancellations received between June 1, 2018 and June 20, 2018 50% of the registration fee will be reimbursed.
- For cancellations after June 20, 2018 or no shows no refunds will be available.
- All refunds will be issued after the conference.
STIPENDS HAVE NOW BEEN ASSIGNED TO APPLICANTS
The Association for Language Awareness is offering eight stipends, each of a maximum of £800 or equivalent, to enable participants to present a paper at the Amsterdam conference in July 2018. Members may apply for a stipend in one of three categories:
- Long-term ALA members(in continuous membership for at least 5 years, i.e. since 2013) (2 stipends available).
- Student members, including PhD students (students must still not have graduated until after the conference, and proof of current student status should be attached to the email application) (3 stipends).
- Members resident in one of the countries designated by the European Educational Research Association as Low GDP countries and others as indicated by the extended list below (3 stipends). Residence will be determined by the mailing address currently recorded in the ALA membership list.
The Low GDP countries are:
- Africa – all countries except Equatorial Guinea and Seychelles;
- America – all countries except Canada, United States of America, St. Kills and Nevis, and Trinidad and Tobago;
- Asia – all countries, except Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong SAR, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Macau SAR, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Taiwan, UAE;
- Australasia/Oceania – all countries, except Australia, New Zealand;
- Europe – Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, FYR of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine
A number of members currently residing in the countries included in the Low GDP group indicated above have their membership fees paid for them by ALA. Difficulties in paying the required membership fee should not prevent an applicant for a stipend from submitting an application for membership without payment. If you reside in one of the countries included in the extended list above, are not already a member for 2018, and wish to benefit from this concession, please ensure that you complete the declaration at the foot of the stipend application form.
Applicants for stipends, currently residing in countries not included in the list of Low GDP countries who are not yet members for 2018 should process their membership applications or renewals before 18 February through the ALA website (http://www.languageawareness.org). It should be noted that an application for a stipend from someone who is neither an established member whose membership is in force for 2018, nor a newly applying member, will not be eligible for consideration.
Applications for stipends will be accepted after the Conference organisers have announced which abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the conference, but no later than 18 February 2018. Applicants, who must be registered members of ALA for 2018 at the time of their application, must have had their abstract accepted by the conference organisers, and may be the main author (or presenter) or any of the other authors (i.e., co-authors/co-presenters are welcome to apply). Under each category, the awards are made based on need, but where there appears to be equal need for two or more presenters, the conference abstracts may be evaluated to decide where the stipend will be allocated.
The funding is restricted. No individual will be awarded more than £800 or equivalent, and smaller sums may be awarded. The Stipends Committee reserves the right not to award within a category, and to consider awards of any monies left after stipends are awarded under these three categories to the next applicant down the list under any category, based on need. There is no guarantee that the scheme will be repeated in future years.
Those who were awarded funds for the ALA 2016 conference in Vienna are eligible to apply for funding in 2018, but if their application is for the same category, it will be held back until other applications in that category are considered.
Applicants for funding must complete an application form. If an applicant has been a member for less than 5 years, the name and contact details of an academic referee are required.
The decisions by the Stipends Committee will be based entirely on the information provided by applicants on their application form. Details of how to submit the application are provided on the form.